Current:Home > Contact2 dead, 5 injured after Sunday morning shooting at Louisville restaurant -Capitatum
2 dead, 5 injured after Sunday morning shooting at Louisville restaurant
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:27:18
Two people died and five were injured Sunday after an early morning shooting at a restaurant in Louisville, Kentucky in what police said appears to have started between restaurant-goers and people on the street.
About 3 a.m. Sunday, Louisville Metro Police Department officers responded to a shooting call at Southern Restaurant and Lounge, where they found a man had been shot and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to information from police spokesperson Dwight Mitchell and local media outlets.
Boston parade shooting:At least 7 injured in shooting during Boston parade, police say
Mayor addresses shooting
Several other people were taken to the University of Louisville Hospital., the Courier-Journal, part of the USA TODAY Network reported. One man died earlier in the day from his injuries, said Greenberg. Four others are recovering.
As of Sunday night no suspect information was available, police reported.
"Our thoughts are with these victims and their families," Louisville Mayor Craig Greenberg said at a Sunday afternoon news conference.
A sixth person was located at Jewish Hospital, and their condition was unknown, police said. Police commander Maj. Shannon Lauder told local media at a news conference Sunday morning that the sixth person's injury may have been due to a fall related to the shooting.
5 Things podcast:Families mourn Jacksonville shooting victims, Tropical Storm Idalia forms
Some 200-300 people at restaurant
Lauder also said that the shooting started between restaurant-goers and people on the street. There were no other details on how the violence started, outlets reported. There were approximately 200 to 300 people at the location, police officials said at the conference. Louisville fire officials previously determined that the facility's capacity is 105 people, Lt. Col. Ryan Bates said Sunday afternoon.
There have been other measures to address problems at the Southern Restaurant and Lounge, Greenberg said. The mayor and the building's landlord have worked together to terminate the lease, which will take effect Aug. 31.
Brad Silveria, the local Alcohol Beverage Control administrator, has also reached out to state officials to apply for termination of the establishment's license. If granted, business operations would cease immediately, Silveria said.
Greenberg called on Metro Council to start conversations with the city administration and the community to determine whether some bars should be allowed to stay open until 4 a.m.
"We will enforce our laws and ordinances," Greenberg said. "There are too many of these incidents happening in the middle of the night when bars and clubs are the only businesses that are still open. We must do more to address our gun violence epidemic."
veryGood! (98)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Pennsylvania woman drowns after being swept over waterfall in Glacier National Park
- Russia targets Ukrainian energy facilities with new barrage of missiles
- Weather woes forecast to continue as flooding in the Midwest turns deadly and extreme heat heads south
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Inside Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban's Epic Love Story
- Boebert faces first election Tuesday since switching districts and the vaping scandal
- A romance turned deadly or police frame job? Closing arguments loom in Karen Read trial
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- The Sopranos at 25: Looking back on TV's greatest hour
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Hiker found safe after 10 days in Northern California mountains
- Officials announce two new carbon removal sites in northwest Louisiana
- Parisians threaten to poop in Seine River to protest sewage contamination ahead of Paris 2024 Summer Olympics
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Save an Extra 50% on Gap Sale Styles, 50% on Banana Republic, 70% on ASOS & More Deals
- A nonprofit got jobs for disabled workers in California prisons. A union dispute could end them
- US surgeon general declares gun violence a public health emergency
Recommendation
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
$2 million bail set for man charged with trying to drown 2 children at Connecticut beach
Everything we know about Noah Lyles, Yu-Gi-Oh! cards and a bet with Chase Ealey
Declaring an Epidemic of ‘Toxic Litter,’ Baltimore Targets Plastic Makers and Packaging in the Latest Example of Plastics Litigation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Fire at South Korea battery factory kills more than 20 workers in Hwaseong city, near Seoul
Video captures shocking moment when worker comes face-to-face with black bear at Tennessee park
Planned Parenthood says it will spend $40 million on abortion rights ahead of November’s election